Continuing our historical and genealogical tour of North Kerry we recently visited Killury Cemetery. This is situated on the Ballyheigue to Ballyduff road close to Edmond Harty’s successful enterprise Dairymaster. Indeed the Harty family have been in this area going back many generations and many of their ancestors are buried in the local cemetery. Killury Cemetery, similar to Ardfert, has many well maintained tombs in the graveyard. In recent years Kerry Co Council erected a reference board with an index list of known family names on tombs and gravestone inscriptions. Unfortunately a portion of the index is unreadable due to exposure to weather. This is a big loss to anyone attempting to trace their ancestors burial plot. Rev Nicholas Nealon (Neilan) P.P. was a native of the parish and served as both parish priest and magistrate and is credited with preserving the peace in this area during the rising of 1798. He built Sandford House, Killury in 1780 and resided there for many years. Another historical house in this area is Ballynoe House. Stoughtons came as planters in the 16th century and this was their Kerry base. In the 19th century Pierce family (originally agents for Stoughtons) were in residence. The Harty family are the current residents and have been there for a number of generations. The graveyard is well maintained and easily accessible as one can walk the gravel path around the perimeter walls.