The graveyard contains the ruins of a church dating back to 1172 and destroyed by Cromwellan troops under General Ludlow in 1652. There are interesting tombs within the church ruins the largest dedicated to the Barry family dating from 1696 with a wall mounted slab of the Barry arms and motto. The Barrys’ were middlemen for Lord Kenmare and descendants of Lord Barrymore of Buttevant. (Barry motto “Boutes en Avant) There are also some very old headstones within the church, for example “Here lieth the body of Maurice Cronin Clounts who departed this life in the 89th year of his age 1st June 1751”.
Watch for more glimpses of the past from Old Kilcummin Graveyard.